Free Motion Machine Quilting Classes by Jane Rundle
Funky Feathers: 3 or 6 hours. Learn how to make lovely funky smooth feathers using a no fuss approach. Learn to quilt a basic shape and expand on it to have a great library of designs at your fingertips. Suitable for beginner machine quilters, or anybody wanting to expand their repertoire.
Simple fillers: 3 or 6 hours. Learn simple free motion fillers, block fillers, borders and more. Learn to quilt a basic shape and expand on it to have a great library of designs at your fingertips. Suitable for beginner machine quilters, or anybody wanting to expand their repertoire.
Modern fillers: 3 or 6 hours. Learn some modern machine quilted fillers and motifs, build on a basic shape and learn to expand your horizons to help make your quilt yours! Suitable for beginner machine quilters, or anybody wanting to expand their repertoire. You will work on a small sampler quilt, approx 60 cm square. Using both walking foot and free motion foot. This class includes some ruler work for interested quilters.
Traditional whole cloth style quilting: Whole day, 6 hours. Make a small quilt in a basic design prior to the class, then learn some marking and design planning techniques, and machine quilting designs to enhance your quilt. Approx 80 cm square. Using both walking foot and free motion foot you will transform a simple block into a personalised quilt.
- The emphasis will be on designing and breaking down a quilt into smaller areas, looking at both design and motif OPTIONS to enhance your quilt.
- Different free motion fillers will be discussed and worked on.
- This class involves both walking foot and free motion work to create an individual look to your work.
- Construct a ‘ mini’ (approx 70 cm square) simple pieced top before the class pattern will be supplied.
- You will work on the quilting design and options, then stitch your motifs.
How are you going to quilt that?: 4 hours. Join this popular class to discuss quilting designs, how to finish your quilt and make your quilting designs personalised. We will look at your own unfinished quilt tops and help you design quilting ideas to get them finished on your home sewing machine.
Class requirements: (for fillers and feathers)
Sewing machine in working order, a free motion/darning foot is essential for this class, a walking foot. is optimal, or dual feed function.
- Sewing machine manual is essential.
- Quilt sandwich for sample work 2 – 3 approx 50 cm square or similar- a solid fabric is best (if you want to try darker threads bring light fabric, for lighter threads bring black or navy fabric).
- Batting needs to be cotton/ wool/ polyester or a blend. (do not bring thick and fluffy polyester).
- Thread- any fun colour that will show on your fabric, machine needles to suit thread. 50 or 60 weight thread (solid or variegated, or anything you want to try!)
- Machine quilting gloves, Supreme Slider (only if you have them).
- Drawing paper and pencils or pens.
- Marker for fabric (chalk or washout pen if you have them).
- A free spirit and adventurous and enquiring mind.
Traditional whole cloth style quilting: (All the above plus class list to be supplied).
This class requires a small very simple quilt to be pieced first.
How are you going to quilt that?: One or 2 unquilted quilt tops (does not matter if they are basted).
Please contact me if your group or shop would like me to teach a machine quilting class, both week days and weekend classes are available.